Guidance on Joining a Webinar hosted by The ICT Service
Thank you for signing up to a webinar with the ICT Service. The following guidance will show you how to access and join a webinar. We’ll be running these sessions using Microsoft Teams but you do not need to be signed up to Teams to join a session.
The following guidance is for joining the webinar from a laptop or Chromebook. If you are planning to join from an iPad or Android tablet, please download the Microsoft Teams app first. You do not need to be signed into the app for these sessions, just select ‘Join as a Guest’ and the joining process is very similar (but simpler!)
The day before your webinar, your tutor or our Course Admin Team will send you an email containing a link to ‘Join Microsoft Teams Meeting’.
- Click on the link 10 – 15 minutes before the session is due to start.
- The link will open the following page in your web browser. The white pop up menu will invite you to either download or open the Microsoft Teams app. Cancel this option and select ‘join on the web instead’.
- You should then be prompted to allow teams.microsoft.com to use your microphone and camera. Please allow this. This doesn’t mean that you will have to have your microphone and camera switched on during a session, just that you will have this option.
- Before joining the session, choose your audio and video settings. We ask that you start a session with your audio and video switched off to begin with. Your meeting host may ask you to switch your audio or video on once you have joined the session. Enter your name and click ‘Join now’.
- Occasionally, attendees may not be able to join a session using the audio on their device and so won’t be able to hear anything in the meeting (usually on older laptops). If this is the case, you can instead choose to join using ‘phone audio’. Choose this option from the bottom of the join screen when you will then be given a number to call.
- The session is set up so that participants wait in ‘the lobby’ until the meeting host is ready for you to join.
- During the session, you’ll have access to the following toolbar. This will allow you to switch your video feed and microphone on and off, access a chat area and see who else has joined the session. You’ll also click the red icon to leave the session. Be aware that there is an icon for presenting your screen. Please don’t use this unless invited to by the meeting host!
- If you accidentally leave the session before you meant to, or lose your connection, you should be presented with an option to rejoin.