Making the most of consultants at Wyton-on-the-Hill Primary School, Wyton, Cambridgeshire
Wyton-on-the-Hill Primary school is in the centre of the county, close to the Wyton RAF base. It has approximately 140 pupils and roughly half of them have parents or carers in the armed forces. The changes in personnel at the base mean that pupils now come from Army as well as RAF families.
Donna Flynn, Management Information System Consultant at The ICT service, has been working closely with the school, using SIMS. Headteacher, Jo Phillips says:
‘Since Donna has been working as a consultant to the school, she has impacted positively on many aspects of school life. This is mainly because she not only comes equipped to take on any challenge presented by changes in the school’s needs, she also comes prepared to listen carefully and to work collaboratively with team members, involving them fully in the processes.’
- Day to day use of assessment – Donna spent many hours with the new Head and staff to modernise their use of assessment data. Staff are now much more confident and skilled in accessing and analysing their data, giving them ownership over its direction and use – which has resulted in improved achievement for our pupils.
- OfSTED – When the school was inspected by OfSTED in July 2011, Donna supported the Head in extracting the relevant data (including contextually relevant ‘vulnerable groups’) in the most efficient way in order to ensure that the school achieved a judgement of ‘Good’.
- Reporting to parents – when the school introduced a new personalised system for assessing, targeting and tracking, Donna developed a new mark sheet and report template in SIMS to match the new system. Feedback from parents has been very positive and staff found the system easy to use.
- Family Inclusion Work – Donna supported the school by leading an adult ICT programme with the Family Inclusion worker, who valued the experience greatly, as did the parents who attended.
- School office systems – the new school Secretary has received clear, personally tailored training to be able to fulfil her crucial role, including tasks involving CTF’s, dinner money and the school census.
- New Arrangements for Foundation Stage Assessment – the Reception Class teacher valued and is still using advice provided by Donna.
- School Development Planning – Donna has supported the school in identifying actions to enable the school to generate action plans ensuring that IT systems support the school’s Single Plan for Raising Achievement effectively.